In case users want to save their files from the access that is unapproved, you would be able to see that Windows 10 locks some folders. This indicates that some folders are unreachable for particular users that are non-administrator. There are users who have complained that you have been denied permission to access this folder message error, and in this article, we will tell you how you can solve this issue.
Following are some solutions to solve the error of you have been denied permission to access this folder windows 10:
Method 1: Take Ownership of File or Folder
- As first step open up File Explorer and navigate to the location where the folder that you want to take ownership of is located.
- Then right-click on the folder and tap on the option of Properties.
- Now move to the Security tab and press Advanced button to open Advanced Security Settings for the present folder.
- Here you will see Change link next to the owner field. Just tap the Change link to open choose this object write dialog.
- Write Administrators in Enter the object name to choose filed, and tap Check Names button. Then tap OK button to see Advanced Security Settings.
- As last step check Replace owner on sub containers and objects option. Press Apply button so you can take the ownership of the folder.
Users can easily gain access or open the folder without making any mistakes that we just explained above.
Method 2: Modify Registry
To resolve you have been denied permission to access this folder windows 10this method can be a bit complicated, so before going towards this process make any changes we suggest you to back up your registry. In case users are getting you have been denied permission to access this folder message, they can solve it easily by altering the ownership of that particular folder. This procedure doesn’t need many steps for completion, and users can do it by a single press. As we have said above that before you can utilize this feature, you are supposed to make some changes for your registry. You can do it by the following steps:
- Here just install Take Ownership.zip file.
- Now open the zip file and extend the files to any folder that is accessible.
- Here start Install Take Ownership.reg file.
- When you see the confirmation message tap Yes to confirm.
- At the end just right click the folder that has issues and select Take Ownership option from the menu.
In case users don’t need to utilize this feature, or if it’s causing problems just be sure to run Uninstall Take Ownership.reg file to delete it.
Method 3: Utilize TakeOwnershipEx
In case users don’t want to apply previous methods they can just install and try TakeOwnershipEx tool. This is a very simple device that will permit you to take ownership over any folder present on your system. The time you install TakeOwnershipEx and download it, you can go for the below steps:
- As initial step start TakeOwnershipEx tool.
- Then just tap Take Ownership button.
- Here choose the problematic folder.
- After the completion of above steps, users will see a success message on the screen.
- In case you want, you can restore ownership settings to default by utilizing Restore Ownership option.
Method 4: Close Shared Folder Sessions
There are many users who have complained that you have been denied permission to access this folder windows 10 error starts after making changes to the ownership settings. In case you face this issue, you might have to end Shared Folder Sessions. Users can do it by following these steps:
- Just tap Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Computer Management from the menu.
- The time you see that Computer Management has opened just navigate to System Tools > Shared Folders > Sessions.
- Here you will see all sessions that are accessible so right click them and pick Close Session from the menu. You can also right click Sessions in the left pane and select Disconnect All Sessions.
- At the end just close Computer Management and see in case the issue has been solved yet or not.
Method 5: Utilizing some other Explorer Application
In case you’re getting you have been denied permission to access this folder message, you should most probably utilize a dissimilar explorer application. In Windows 10 File Explorer is default application for file access but if you are unable to access the folder we recommend you to install Q-Dir. Just install and start this app and try to access the folder with the help of this device. Many users have used it and gave very good reviews about it so you should also try it in case any of the above methods doesn’t work for you.
Method 6: Copy the Folder to a Different Location
In case you don’t have access to a folder because of the issue you have been denied permission to access this folder message, here we have an easy solution to sort your problem out. You can copy the folder to some other location and try to access it from that place. This isn’t probably the best procedure to apply but users can try it.
Method 7: Utilize Command Prompt to Access File
Users can access any folder on their system by utilizing Command Prompt as administrator. To begin Command Prompt as administrator just follow the below instructions:
- As first step tap Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu.
- Then select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
The time users see that the Command Prompt begins, you can utilize it to gain access and copy files from the folder that has issues. In case you don’t know anything about Command Prompt, you should learn a few basic instructions so you can utilize this device.
Method 8: Make a New Group and Add your User Account to it
By making a new group and giving ownership over the folder to the new group users can solve you have been denied permission to access this folder windows 10 problem. Users can do it by following these steps:
- Tap Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Now enter lusrmgr.msc and click Enter or press OK.
- When you see that the Local Users and Groups window opens, choose Groups in the left pane and right click Groups and to select New Group.
- You will see that new Group window will pop up. Just enter the Group name you want and tap the Add button.
- In the option of Enter the object names to choose filed enter your username or Microsoft account email. Tap Check Names. In case your input is valid and press OK.
- After the completion of above steps tap the Create button to make a new group.
- At the end just close that window.
Method 9: Connect your USB Flash Drive to a Different System
Users have also complained that they are receiving you have been denied permission to access this folder message the time they try to access particular folders on removable storage. In case you are facing this issue, we suggest you interconnect the USB flash drive that has issues to a dissimilar system. Now just make a copy of the folder that is causing trouble and remove the original. Change the name of the copy and interconnect the flash drive to your system. You will see that you will be solved, and you now you would be able enough to access that folder.
Method 10: Utilize xcopy Command
In case you are unable to gain access to a folder on your USB flash drive because of some error, we recommend you to utilize the xcopy command. This procedure is advanced so before taking this one into consideration you should do a bit of research and learn how to utilize xcopy command. You will need to utilize this instruction from the Command Prompt.
Method 11: Removing USB Driver
Users can resolve you have been denied permission to access this folder message by deleting their USB device driver. You can do it by following the below instructions:
- As initial step start Device Manager by tapping Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the menu.
- After the completion of above steps now go to the View menu and check Show hidden devices option.
- Here now locate your USB flash drive and right click it. Select to Uninstall from the menu.
- The time you see the confirmation message shows, just tap OK to remove the driver.
- Then you have to interconnect your USB flash drive to a dissimilar port on your system. You will see that now windows 10 will download the necessary drivers via automatic processing and the error will be solved.
Method 12: Confirm that you’re Authenticated
You have been denied permission to access this folder message appears on particular HP PC’s. Users have said that they are unable to access their USB flash drive before the time they are properly authenticated. For the sake of it, you just need to tap the HP icon in the lower right corner and go for the authentication procedure. This is a security measure on some HP computers, and in case you have an HP PC we suggest you to go for this procedure.
Method 13: Change the Security Settings
- As first step open HP Client Security.
- Then navigate to the Device Permissions.
- Now tap on Change.
- You can change the removable storage settings and permit full access for administrators and users. There are some users who have complained that this option is faded, but users still change it.
- After the completion of above methods save changes and try to access your USB flash drive once more.
Method 14: Removing HP Software
- Tap Windows Key + I so you can open the Settings app.
- Then when you see that the app opens, go to System section and navigate to Apps & features tab.
- You will see that list of all downloaded apps will now pop up. Locate HP software like HP Device Manager and choose the software and press the Uninstall button.
We hope that users can now able to resolve you have been denied permission to access this folder windows 10 error by trying one of the above methods.