Suppose you’re working on a very important project and at the time of printing you face an error on the screen like “the active directory domain services is currently unavailable” then what is your feeling at that time. Of course you’re feeling not good and want to get rid of this error as soon as possible.
The active directory domain services is currently unavailable means that your PC is not able to search and connect with the printer. So whole process has been stopped for further work. Some people think this error due to the printer which is wrong. You will face this error in all version of Windows like windows 7, 8, 8.1 and especially Windows 10. You don’t worry, It’s very common error and so many people report this error.
There are more than one reasons behind this error. It occurs due to missing drivers or outdated printer drivers, UAC and the user permissions don’t allow the printer in Microsoft Office applications.
There are a lot of methods to fix “the active directory domain services is currently unavailable” error. This article contains some easy methods which help you to fix this error yourself, just follow the steps which given.
Method No. 1: Printer Basic Troubleshooting
- Press Window key logo + W then write Troubleshooting in search bar.
- You can see right side of Troubleshooting Control Panel Menu, click on View all and then choose the printer from the list which appear in front of you. See the below pictures.
- Now wait few minutes and give time to Troubleshooter to identify the error and fix it.
If you don’t get the solution from this method then move on other methods.
Method No. 2: Updating Printer Drivers and Adding Printer
If Troubleshooting not give you solution and you’re still seeing “the active directory domain services is currently unavailable” error, then you can use this method. Sometime printer automatically added to your operating system when you connect with all the drivers being installed but sometime not. Now we can update the printer drivers and add printer again.
- If printer connected to your PC, then remove the printer before start this method.
- Go to Run application (Windows + R) and write Control Panel.
- In Control Panel Search Devices and Printers to click on “Hardware and Sound” then you will see a window like this.
- Check if your printer already added then delete it and add new Printer.
- When you click on Add Printer then Windows will search all available printers.
- This will add your printer to your operating system or PC. But you make sure printer is connected correctly.
- Now you need to update the printer driver.
- Open Run Application (Window log key + R) and then write “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.
- You will see a window and from the list find “Print queues”. Expand list and choose your printer then right click and Update Driver Software.
- After click on Update Driver Software then a window will open and you need to select 2nd option which is “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Then select the location where you want to place the downloaded drivers for printer. Normally we like to select C disk. When you selected place then Press Next Button and after completing the process, you must restart your computer and hopefully you will get the solution of this problem.
Method No.3: Restarting Printer Spooler Service
Most of the time we face this problem when Printer Spooler Service stop working. Actually this service is responsible to manage all print related tasks being sent to printer. Now we try to restarting this service and find the solution of this problem. Let’s start to fix the active directory domain services is currently unavailable Error.
- Go to Run Application and then type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Now search the Printer Spooler from the pop up window list of services.
- Right click on Print Spooler and go to properties to check service is running or stopped. If service is running, then restart it to set the Startup Type to automatic and Press OK.
- Now restart your PC and check printer is working good or not but you make sure printer connect correctly to computer.
Method No. 4: Registry Editor and Granting Permissions
Caution: Be careful while making some changes in the entries because any mistake badly affected your system. Therefore, it’s my suggestion to have a backup for your system before start this method.
- Go Run application and type “regedit” in dialogue box and Press OK.
- A window pop up and now you need to follow the given chain
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > right click on Windows NT > CurrentVersion.
- You can see 3 sub keys in Current Version which are Devices, Printer Ports, and the Windows. Now you need to give the permission to all devices separately to right click and choose permissions there.
- Now select your account from the given list then you Tick mark on Allow column which is in front of the “full control” and make sure Deny column unchecked. Then click on Apply and OK.
- As I mentioned above you will do same setting to grant the permission to Windows and PrinterPorts.
- Close the Registry Editor, unplug the Printer and restart your system. Then reinstall printer and check the Error got solved.
This is end of guide to fix Error “the active directory domain services is currently unavailable”. If you follow this article step by step, then you can easily fix this error yourself. I fully try to make this article user friendly. If you have any question related to it then leave in comment Box.