iPhone disconnected, connect to iTunes: what to do
Apple cares about the security of user data, and in order to protect information on all iOS devices it is possible to set a password. It can be set each time you unlock the device or after a certain period of time of inactivity. After setting a password, the owner of the iPhone, iPad or iPod can forget it. With this in mind, Apple offers users six attempts to enter the correct password. If none of the attempts are successful, the device will lock, and the user will see a message saying that he/she will be able to enter the password again only after a certain period of time. After getting it wrong 4 more times, the message “iPhone is disconnected, connect to iTunes” will appear.
Restoring an iPhone or iPad
Apple recommends that if the “iPhone (iPad) is disconnected, connect to iTunes” error occurs, you should restore the device. This can be done with the data saved if you have previously backed up using iTunes. In situations where this has not been done, it will only be possible to recover an iPhone or iPad after incorrect password entries and an error occurs with the loss of data.
To recover iPhone after ten mistaken passwords, you need to do the following:
Connect your smartphone to your computer using the original USB cable. Important: Connect to a computer that has previously been synchronized with the device via iTunes.
- When you connect a locked device to a computer that is new to it, you will be prompted to enter the password for the device;
- When you connect a locked iPhone to your computer, the iTunes app will launch. If this does not happen automatically, run the program manually;
- The synchronization process between iTunes and iPhone will begin, and a backup copy will be created. Note that this backup will be protected by a forgotten password, so it’s not a good idea to use it to restore your smartphone;
- When the iPhone synchronization with iTunes is complete, you need to click “Restore iPhone”;
- During device recovery, you will be able to select “Recover from iTunes copy” or “Recover from iCloud copy”.
Depending on where you have a backup of the device before you set the password, perform a restore from that source. If there is no backup, the iPhone will be booted with no user data.
After performing the device recovery procedure, the password will be reset and you will be able to use your iPhone or iPad again.
Remote password reset on iPhone and iPad
Another effective way to get rid of the “iPhone disconnected, connect to iTunes” error is to perform a remote reset. This can be done if “Find iPhone” was activated on the device before the problem occurred. It allows you to track the device, as well as perform some remote manipulation with it, including wiping all information from the device.
Reset iPhone password with the service can be used from any computer, tablet, smartphone and other gadgets with Internet access. To do this, you need to:
- Go to the device search page in iCloud and authorize through the Apple ID to which it is linked;
- Then in the list of all devices select iPhone or iPad, which password you want to reset;
- Click “Erase iPhone” or “Erase iPad,” and then confirm your intentions.
All information from the device will be deleted and the error “iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes” will disappear. It will be possible to restore the device from existing copies or set it up as a new device.
Extra password attempts on an iPhone or iPad
If the “iPhone (iPad) is disconnected, connect to iTunes” error appears on the screen, it is possible to bypass it and get 10 more attempts to enter the password. The method is as follows:
- On the computer to which the previously locked device was connected, you must run iTunes;
- After that, you should connect your smartphone or tablet to it;
- Next, a “Synchronize” button will be available at the bottom of iTunes – click on it;
- The synchronization process will start, and before it is completed, you need to stop and cancel it by clicking on the cross;
- Next, disconnect your device from iTunes, and you’ll be able to try entering your password 10 times again before it locks up.
Important: This method does not work on all versions of the iOS operating system.
If you can reset your password attempts using this method, you can do it indefinitely, repeating the above steps over and over again and getting 10 additional password attempts.